Friday, February 11, 2011

Turtle Cupcakes

So I was at karaoke last week and I decided I wanted dessert. What is the best dessert I can think of when I am out on the town you ask? TURTLE CHEESECAKE! It is a gift from the gods with its caramel and pecans not to mention the worlds most perfect treasure, lots of chocolate. Anyway as I was devouring the entire piece with no help from Michael (not really complaining) I thought to myself... this would make a delicious cupcake and so I decided to go home and try it out. I had a few hardships trying this out like my kitchen is so drafty it is really difficult to get anything to a proper room temp so I had alot of waiting on cold butter to warm up. Anyway this recipe is my second attempt and they are pretty tasty. I tried to make this recipe as user friendly as possible by substituting a store bought caramel sauce instead of a homemade caramel but you could make one from scratch if you want.

Warning. These cupcakes are really sweet but also really yummy.


Chocolate Cupcake
Recipe yields 1 and 1/2 dozen cupcakes


Preheat Oven to 350'
Line Cupcake tins with paper liners

Ingredients
1 cup all purpose flour
1 1/4 cup sugar
6 TBS unsweetened cocoa powder (preferably dutch process or you can use special dark)
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup oil
1/2 cup sour cream*(see note)
3/4 cup water
1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 egg
1 TBS white vinegar
* If you use the same measuring cup for the sour cream as the oil the sour cream will come out easily.

Combine flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, and salt in a sifter and sift into a large bowl.
Using a spatula or spoon stir in oil, sour cream and water then stir to combine.
In a small bowl combine egg and vanilla then add it to the batter.
Finally add in the vinegar and whisk to combine. (there will be a slight reaction here and your batter may get lighter in color but don't worry it is doing fine)
Scoop out the batter about 3/4 full into the prepared tins. ( I use a disher and it makes quick work of it.)

Place them in the oven and bake for 15 minutes depending on your oven. I would start checking them at 13 and see where they are. These cupcakes have a slight rise but they shouldn't get overly puffy. They are finished when you can insert a toothpick and it comes out clean.

Let rest until cool before icing.

Salted Caramel Icing
1 stick butter at room temp (hopefully your kitchen is warmer than mine)
2 cups of powder sugar sifted
3 TBS heavy cream
1 tsp salt
2 TBS store bought caramel sauce

Cream the butter in a mixer for at least a minute until it lightens in color.
Add the sifted sugar a half cup at a time and beat it well in between.
Add the heavy cream and salt  and beat on high for at least 3 minutes.
Finally add in the caramel sauce and beat it to combine.

Serving Suggestions:
Frost then top with toasted pecans or turtle candies that have been cut or drizzle with a little more caramel sauce.

Enjoy!
Krystle

1 comment:

  1. YAY! Your first food blog! I still think you need a tv show! Good job, informative, comical and the food looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete