Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Spicy Chicken Rigatoni

This recipe is inspired by a statement I seem to always make "Oh I can do that." Seriously I say this all the time and it gets me into trouble because even if I can do that, (which most of the time I totally can) sometimes I don't have the time nor resources. However this particular time I had the time and the palate to make this happen. I was eating a dish at an Italian restaurant with some girlfriends and I said I can make this no problem, so I went home that week and tried to make it. This is such a tasty dish it became a staple at my house I LOVE IT. It is hot and spicy and creamy and cheesy, seriously everything you want in pasta. YUM. This version I am giving you today is kind of a 30 minute cheaters version, your welcome. Everyone should definitely try this one out it comes together so quickly and tastes so delicious.


Ingredients:
2 store bought rotisserie chicken breasts or roasted chicken breasts(recipe below)
2 TBS butter
1 tsp olive oil 
1 red onion diced (small to medium in size)
2 cloves of garlic minced
1/2 TBS red pepper flakes (this makes it really spicy if you like your food more mild try 1/2 tsp-1 tsp)
3 TBS white wine
1 750g can of marinara sauce (I use one box of POMI marinara)
1 cup frozen peas
3/4 cup half and half
1/2 cup mozzarella cubed
1/4 cup Parmesan grated
1 lb rigatoni

to roast chicken breasts:
take 2 chicken breasts bone in skin on and rub them liberally with extra virgin olive oil then sprinkle with salt, pepper and a little garlic powder then cook them in a 350' oven for 35-40 minutes.

In a large pan (dutch oven) over medium high heat sautee onion in olive oil and butter. When the onion looks a little softer (3-4 min) add in the garlic and red pepper flakes. Cook that for about 30-45 seconds stirring constantly so the garlic doesn't burn. Deglaze the pan with the white wine then scrape any bits off the bottom of the pan. The add in the box or can of store bought marinara sauce. Then fill the box or can up half way again with water to get all the excess tomato out of it then add that to the sauce as well. Simmer this for about 20-30.

In a large pan heat salted water for rigatoni to a boil then cook according to directions.

Shred the chicken breasts and add that into the sauce.Then add in the frozen peas, half and half, and both cheese to the sauce. As soon as the pasta is done add it to the sauce and toss lightly making sure not to damage the shape of the pasta. Salt and pepper to taste then top with a little chopped parsley and serve.

If you are going to cook this in advance the sauce can be refrigerated and reheated as long as the pasta has not been added. So cook the pasta and add it into the reheated sauce just before serving.

Enjoy!
Krystle

No comments:

Post a Comment