Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Cinci Style Chili

It has recently come to my attention that I have been seriously slacking in the posting on my blog department. I apologize I have been a bit preoccupied, however I have been writing my recipes down so I will complete a little back log and hopefully give you something to read and eat. So in my family there is a tradition of Cinci Style Chili on Christmas Eve. I know it isn't near Christmas but whenever its a little chilly out and I am feeling a little nostalgic I think of this Chili. When I was living in TX it was impossible to get at a restaurant and the frozen was decent but there is nothing like homemade. I have found a restaurant here that serves it and it is super yummy but I decided it would be wise to have my own recipe. This chili isn't a chili you think of when you think of traditional spicy chili. It has more of a Mediterranean  flair with cinnamon and chocolate. It is very savory and for me smells like the holidays.


Ingredients

1 qt cold water
2 lbs ground beef
2 cups crushed tomato
2 yellow onions diced
1 TBS oil (veggie or canola)
4 cloves of garlic minced
1 TBS Worcestershire Sauce
1 TBS dark cocoa powder
1/4 cup chili powder
1 tsp cayenne
1 tsp cumin
2 TBS cider vinegar
1 bay leaf
1/4 tsp clove
1 tsp cinnamon
1 1/2 tsp salt

In a large stock pot sautee the onion and garlic in oil until soft not brown. Add in water and then ground beef. Mix until all the meat is broken up. You want this to be a very fine texture and you aren't browning it you are basically boiling it with the water and spices. Add in all the spices and let cook on medium heat stirring occasionally for 4-6 hours. After about 2-3 hours go and check on it and remove layer of fat/oil that is on the top.

For traditional serving suggestions see below.
 3 way - Spaghetti, Chili, and Cheese.
 4 way- Spaghetti, Chili, Cheese and Onion
 5 way- Spaghetti, Chili, Cheese, Onion, Beans

Coney Dog- Hot dog, Mustard and Chili. YUM.

Hope you enjoy this I surely do. Oh and it keeps well in an airtight container in the freezer for future enjoyment.

Enjoy!
Krystle

No comments:

Post a Comment